2.02.2009

Boyd Bailey: Hurt Hurts…

“He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds.” Psalm 147:3

Hurting people hurt people. They have been wounded in the past, so they have not been healed in the present. It is very difficult for everyone, because the wounded one simmers in silent suffering, until they lash out at a loved one. Unless they are made whole by the grace of God, there will be no relational restoration with the Lord and others.

Do you or someone you love walk around with a wounded heart? Your hurt may be the result of an extreme let down from someone you trusted and admired: a parent, or an abusive authority figure. This may explain your resistance to accountability and unwillingness to submit to authority. However, the gospel of Jesus Christ is all about binding up the broken hearted. He came with healing in His wings for hurting hearts (see Malachi 4:2).

Jesus says, “The Spirit of the Lord is upon Me, because He has anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor, He has sent me to heal the broken hearted” (Luke 4:18, NKJV). Hurt is healed when we let go of anger and allow the grace of God to replace it with forgiveness and peace. If we remain immature and insist on our way, we will stay stuck in our childish cycle. But Jesus is calling us beyond our adolescent attitudes. Paul struggled with this when he confessed, “I put childish things behind me” (1 Corinthians 13:11).

Lastly, when we cry out to Christ, He heals. Humility is an invitation to intimacy and healing. You can love with a whole heart when the love of the Lord has mended your heart. Perhaps, you seek out a Biblically based Christian counselor, and trust them to lead you into God’s grace and healing. Then, in humility, reach out to those you have wronged and watch relational healing take place. Honestly ask, ‘Has my heart been healed by heaven?’ The Bible says, “I will heal their waywardness and love them freely, for my anger has turned from them” (Hosea 14:4).

Related Readings: 2 Chronicles 7:14; Malachi 4:2; James 5:16; 1 Peter 2:24

Transformational Living
Is my heart healthy and whole? Whom can I ask to validate my diagnosis?

++++++++++++++++
My thoughts!
I'm trying to do some quick catching up! Last week was crazy! This email sat in my box for a few days last week and I didn't have it in me to open it when I saw the title.

We (my wife and I) have a relationship in our lives that directly relates to the above message. So this is so timely and relevant, but hard because HURT HURTS!

No comments: